Wednesday, December 17, 2008

A Different Kind of Home

I've rarely updated this lately, or as the case now is, I have only just started the word press one so this would be the first post. Regardless, here are some random things.

I'm doodling with the idea (Pun, hahah) of working on a web comic. I have to perfect my own ability to draw first.

I'm also drafting some ideas for things to write. I just have to get into that "zone" of actually doing it. It has been tough to do with school, all the papers I had to put out there at the very end, all the reading I had assigned but didn't want to complete. I've got a need to produce some things, and I hope that my vacation for the holidays will let me get to that place mentally.


 

On the subject of the holidays, I find myself at my parents' home for the next week weeks, on holiday away from school for Christmas and New Years. It is interesting to come here, seeing this house for the first time. It's not actually a house, a condo would be more accurate; yet it's probably the first place my parents have moved to that I feel instantly attached to. There is something unique about it that grabs me right away and appeals to me. I think it has something to do with how it balances a secluded and contained feeling with a feeling of openness. I explained to a friend once my love for homes up north. They feel isolated from the outside world, especially during the winter when you can sit inside, warm and comfortable, and look out at a snowy field. The part of his condo that is secluded, that feeling I get from this place draws a lot from my love of homes up north. It can't hurt that it has gotten amazingly cold in the last few days. The only thing missing here are the carpeted floors. I think I'll revisit this again while I'm here.


 

On another note, as I write this, a movie called "The Cell" is on tv. I've seen parts of it before, mostly the ending, so it's rather interesting to see the beginning. This movie fascinates me because of its presentation of the mind. Granted, it's the mind of a serial killer, so it's all fractured and disjointed, but it makes me wonder how someone would perceive another's mind if they could wander in it. I wrote something along these lines once before, which I'm going to repost below this. For anyone taking the time to browse this, feel free to contribute your own impression of your mind.

No comments: