Thursday, October 2, 2008

Faucet

I find writing this appropriate, having conceived the idea for the post some days ago and only now getting around to penning it.

I feel like my approach to writing for several years has been all wrong. I've gone about with what I am doing, living in the world, and when an idea strikes me that I like I will try to build a story around it. Or if it has the misfortune of hitting me when I am unable to commit it to paper, it slowly dies. And I've realized how very very wrong this concept is.

Its like trying to get a glass of water from a barely open faucet. Eventually I have a full glass, but my potential is so limited it digs at me. The only method I can think of for fixing this is what I tried in the past, and must find in myself the self-discipline to find again; that being to take time out of each day to produce something that I can be proud of, or at least shape into something worth admiring, from a literary perspective. I have two stories sitting as outlines right now, two that have great potential, as well as the story I launched this blog with, of the self-conversation. I also slowly manifest a web comic out of randomness with a friend of mine; that shifts between being full of random occurrences and being story driven. Perhaps I shall find a nice middle ground on which to balance it.

And in quiet doubt, I wonder if anyone reads this, or if it is simply a place for me to put words on the net.

Have I thrown a message in a bottle out to sea?

Where the tides start to turn...

No comments: